Saturday, October 19, 2013

On Prunes and Other Friends


 


"Mmmm, prunes. What a delicacy. I'll take more!"
                  
Yours truly here, operating on no sleep. Never thought I'd be blogging about poop, but since we started solids, our Lulu hasn't managed to have a BM. Yes, it did cross my mind to just keep her exclusively on breast milk forever. Yes, I know it's ridiculous. Still, night after night this week we had to soothe a screaming baby whose system was having a hard time adjusting to sweet potatoes and avocado. Last night was the peak. Lulu could hardly stay asleep because of her backed-up stomach. At the same time, I felt like my heart was clogged by screaming needles. My body was also not the happiest camper. My spine was threatening to go on strike after picking up and putting down hundreds of times. My chest and arms turned clinically depressed for not being able to take away my baby's pain and discomfort. 

Which brings me to...I can't wait till she can speak. I want to know exactly how she feels. Exactly. I need to relieve the pain, any pain. It's a need, a sweeping, primal need. I can't control it and I don't wish to control it, but it's definitely another new thing motherhood introduced me to. I mean, I have intensely and desperately wanted to alleviate pain of loved ones before Lulu. With Lulu it's a physical need that flows through my body like an angry ocean. 

Until she can speak, I use my mama instincts, which I sharpen every day. Who knows, by the time she speaks with words, I might not even need words. I would just effortlessly read her. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually quite proud of myself for being able to read Lulu's cry- hungry, tired, overstimulated, etc. But I am still challenged when it comes to pain and discomfort. We've just completed an episode of a first cold, segueing into glamorous teething, which kept us up at night (that's the thing with Lulu. She's always in good spirits during the day, no matter what. But at night, her sleep is disrupted so easily), and now this....Stomach. New food. It actually started out so cheerfully. Sweet potato was a big hit and even avocado. We've been having so much fun making food mess. Unfortunately, it's biting us in the ass, literally!

So this morning we bought organic prunes and the perfect puree was served. Lulu adored it and refused to stop eating. Again, fun times. It's 5 PM and NOTHING. Nighttime is approaching with its big, scary steps, threatening to bestow upon us more pain and tears. Prunes, please please work!

Addendum:
At 6 PM we purchased what we heard is called Magic. Suppositories (Oh, my... Hope Lulu will forgive me for sharing the intricacies of BMs and beyond...). It's not medication, which we try to avoid. It's guaranteed to work quickly and bring Lulu her good night's sleep. We'll take it! We'll take it now! 

My built-in need to take away the pain is met within 30 minutes. 
Joy to the world. WHAT a relief!  

GOOD Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment